In an effort to hire more physicians and dentists, the VA is making some changes. VA Secretary Robert McDonald plans to ramp up recruitment through pay increases (excluding leadership roles), but that's just the beginning. Additional steps include:
- Collaborating on a new nursing academic partnership (VA Nursing Academic Partnerships or VANAP) focused on psychiatric and mental health care to build stronger, mutually beneficial relationships between nursing schools and VA facilities.
- Partnering with the Department of Defense Health Affairs, Army, Navy, and Air Force to improve recruitment of recently or soon to be discharged health care professionals.
- Expanding a pilot program to bring combat medics and corpsmen in to VA facilities as clinicians.
- Improving the credentialing process for VA and DoD health care providers which will involve sharing credentials to speed up the process.
- Expanding the loan repayment program, as included in the recently passed Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act.
Through all these efforts the VA and Veterans Health Administration (VHA) hope to draw in quality professionals from the healthcare field. Dr. Carolyn M. Clancy, Interim Under Secretary for Health commented about the proposed pay raises by saying, “With more competitive salaries for physicians and dentists, VHA is in position to attract and hire the best and brightest to treat Veterans.”
“At VA, we have a noble and inspiring mission - to serve Veterans, their survivors and dependents. There is no higher calling,” said VA Secretary Robert McDonald. “We are committed to hiring more medical professionals across the country to better serve Veterans and expand their access to timely, high-quality care.”
If you would like to discuss your VA benefits and services or have any questions please don't hesitate to call Still Serving Veterans. Our North Alabama/National Office can be reached at (256) 883-7035, and our East Alabama/Fort Benning Office can be reached at (334) 384-9111. Or just email us at email@example.com and we will get back to you within one business day.